NAV Bar

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sometimes You Get an Angel

Dude,
It's a walk that is starting and stopping. I had just wanted to take out the Trash

                                                                                                  photo by lady 74
                                                                                                               

You Know your a caregiver when it is a luxury to take out the trash
By Your self
To feel how the world wraps around you
And only you
and your shirt
as in not a coat hat and sweater
(Cuz you know what it's like to
be locked out, in the weather)

You slip 1/2 a yogurt lid where the deadbolt goes
so you won't feel that shock
Lord knows you know
And pull the door on the balcony and head
Down the stairs
With the tied up grocery sack
Just a moment to feel (a different flavor of) freedom
the sun on your hair

and You don't know how to act

And know it will take a lot more to really take
In your soul (for good)
Like something you carry in your hip pocket
that you've got down cold

Good Move
Cuz,
cuz when I come back inside
there is somehow another garbage sack to go down
The one with the vacuum dust near the top

So now it's time for my loved one and I to gear up
I get the water bottles in my bag with the meds
In this case two heads aren't better than one,
Get my wallet and keys
and I'm almost done
Make sure the doors are locked
and ...

Just that fast

(Cuz my loved one is really fast)

They have it.

and they don't let go


and i think why does it have to be so complicated
or even interesting
and I feel a shroud
I feel the tightening

It's back
and were just now going down the stairs
to the place where the free air just was

and remembering the freedom
and remembering sanity
I pull the vacuum dust garbage bag
from my loved ones hand and it

tears and it's contents blow onto the ground
through the same breeze that refreshed
I'm reaching down
to get
wadded tissues, damp teabags,
old newspapers, flyers
little dust bunnies and
soiled skivvy diapers

and I wonder if I have an audience

as I hold the torn bag together
and push the wheelchair with one hand
and my loved one's elbow in the other
and now I'm planning

to walk behind the dumpster together
do a quick double back by myself
deposit the torn bag in front
(with the contents that are left)

and it works

but as I rejoin my loved one they're bending down
to pull up the stub of a street post sign
and before  I have time
to process
action
they're finger's cut open
and my plan just
lost traction

That quick.

and the walk is just starting
as I reach in our bag
and pull out
the hand sanitizer bottle
again

and I
just wanted to
take out the trash.

Cuz.


                  Graphic by MediSKapt











No comments:

Post a Comment