NAV Bar

Friday, December 24, 2010

Walk on Water

The ground is moving, the ground is shifting under my feet
like a concrete colored carousel, or when I close my eyes when I'm dizzy.
I am moving too, and at my age even worth noting briefly, but not this fast.
Two hour walks have turned into round the block jaunts,and with a wheelchair handy at that, And thank God for the wheelchair!
All those tokens of elder care have turned into warm, giving, yet razor sharp double edged gifts in my toolbox. They appeared, and am I grateful. They unfolded abundantly, gently breaching the wall of stereotype and loving protection of my loved one like a warm wave of peace. They enable me well.
It takes a few days for the benefits to sink in, to get adjusted to the things I can now do with my loved one. Like the seat belt which allows my loved one to roll through the store without standing up and grabbing merchandise. I can even pay the bills with my loved one along, instead of making early morning mad dashes across the neighborhood. I can get on the bus without drama. No loved one standing and holding on and threatening to call the cops. The bus driver was ready to do it, what with me feeding into it, angry; I was jeopardizing my role in front of the ever present audience. Yet this scene happened with the wheelchair, seatbelt and all, Monday. What did I do? Let my loved one out of the seatbelt. I missed my stop by two yet again, get off, cross the street and catch the next bus going the other way!


The new things I can do with the new tools! The wheelchair with the seat belt, the Depends-the Depends!
Laundry, sheets and fluffy heavy bedding washed sets at at time after sitting on the back porch...and the second morning shower after the stressful fight for the evening shower- all now soothingly swallowed by the absorbent wonders.
Each day brings both new liabilities and new tools which change my abilities like my view through a View Master disk when I cratched the lever down as it was pressed against my face...
Then the meds. The meds are not my enemy. Slow down, feel it again today. The meds are not my enemy.
Hey, pop culture symbols of elder care, who cares? They are enabling me to move forward smoothly and steadily. This is what love does. (Click the "love " link to hear the song "Walk on Water" performed by Britt Nicole)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I am too very grateful for the tools in helping my loved one & me to function within the terrain of this ever changing disease. You are a gifted writer. I enjoy your use of imagery & metaphor. Walk on Water is a favorite song of mine. I saw Britt in concert last year. She is an incredible artist! God bless you & your loved one....Have hope & strength in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      Thanks for your inspiration and support! It means a lot. I hope to start posting links to songs again later this summer...Again,
      Thank you for your kind response and for taking the time to visit hopefulHEALTH

      Delete