NAV Bar

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Phone Booth

Layed down for the last time in my home
I woke to a fire out of control
It's a story I haven't talked a lot about
An empty lot's there now

Took a graceful offer
rather than hang around
friends offered and I left town
here, paying next month's rent's down

You know they moved the phone booth
Where I could see the door
up there on the third floor
so my mother wouldn't wander away

I'm in the clear now
but then I had to run away
on the other side from where I stay
to the phone on the side of  the grocery place

I counted fifteen minutes from the time
when I first went down the steps
to where I had to call SS
Then run back home, pressed

For nine months while my landlord
and the maintenance guys
saw me run with their own eyes
while I hoped to finally stabilize

That ended when I opened the mailbox door
the eagle landed
I don't run anymore
Mom and I walked the three miles to our victory

Graduated from  the phones on the side of the grocery store
where I looked at the brick of the apartments next door
and wondered if we'd be on the street
or could I go any lower...

But I'm here to tell you they moved the phone booth
where I could see the door
we're still there and I'm not scared anymore
there's no eviction notices like before

They moved the phone booth
but I'm free...
It really happened to me
some of you out there know what I mean.

(Go to this link for information on the Alzheimer's Association's Safe Return Program for individuals with dementia who are in danger of wandering away.)

No comments:

Post a Comment